How to download 3DS games from the Nintendo eShop
Update: As of 3rd September 2019, credit cards cannot be used to add funds on systems in the Nintendo 3DS family or Wii U consoles. A new off-device top-up website will be launched for consumers who want to add funds using their credit card. Click here for more information.
We are now offering selected Nintendo titles as digital download versions from Nintendo eShop, with many more games to come! Here's a guide on how you can buy Nintendo 3DS games:
Retail stores: Our games are available at your local store in the traditional packaged manner.
Nintendo eShop download: You can now download selected titles directly from Nintendo eShop and we'll be adding more Nintendo games there all the time.
What is a digital download version?
Users will be able to enjoy the same game content as found in the packaged game by downloading it from Nintendo eShop. The digital download game will be saved on the SD Card in your Nintendo 3DS™ system. If you save different games on your system, you can play them at any time without having to change Game Cards.
Your Nintendo 3DS system must be connected to the Internet to download the game.
The downloaded game can only be played on the system it is downloaded to.
Due to the large data size of these games, it may take some time for the game to download. Please download the game while connected to a power supply.
Please be aware that the game won't download if there isn't enough space on your SD Card. You will be notified when trying to download if this is the case.
Why get a download version from Nintendo eShop?
The game content is the same as the packaged version but you can download the title right away on release day!
You can carry numerous games with you at the same time.
Purchase the game directly from Nintendo eShop
You can purchase the download version directly from Nintendo eShop and download the game.
1. To access Nintendo eShop on your Nintendo 3DS system, select this icon from the HOME Menu.
2. If you don’t already have funds, you’ll be prompted to "Add Funds". You can also add funds at any time by tapping on the "Menu" icon on the Nintendo eShop main page and then "Add Funds".
3. You can add funds in two ways: either with a Nintendo eShop Card (which are available from selected retailers) or with a credit card.
4. If you have a Nintendo eShop Card, first read all of the information and then enter the 16-digit activation number found on the back of the card by scratching off the silver panel. Nintendo eShop Cards are available in denominations of $15 and $30.
5. If you choose to pay by credit card, you can use either MasterCard or VISA to add funds. First, select an amount to add and then follow the instructions. Afterwards you’ll get a receipt of your purchase.
6. Now, you’re ready to download! Make sure your battery is fully charged, or plug in the power supply before you start the download. If you're downloading a large game file, then just close Nintendo eShop, put your Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo 3DS™ XL system into Sleep Mode and let it download while you do something else!