How to download Nintendo Switch games from the Nintendo eShop
- You cannot access the Nintendo Switch eShop without a Nintendo Account
- You can create an account at https://accounts.nintendo.com/
- After creating the account, you must link it to your user profile on the Nintendo Switch console.
- You can restrict the use of Credit Cards and the purchasing of content through the Parental Controls feature of Nintendo Switch
As well as featuring software you won't find in retail stores, Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch also offers download versions of select packaged software. Here's how you can buy our games:
Many of our games are available at your local store in the traditional packaged manner.
Nintendo eShop download
You can download our top titles directly from Nintendo eShop, with the selection growing all the time.
What is a download version?
Users will be able to enjoy the same game content as found in the packaged game by downloading it from Nintendo eShop. The downloaded game will be saved to your Nintendo Switch console's internal flash memory or microSD card (sold separately) so if you download multiple games, you can play them at any time without needing to change Nintendo Switch Game Cards.
Your Nintendo Switch console must be connected to the Internet to download games.
The downloaded game can only be played on the console it is downloaded to.
Due to the large data size of these games, it may take some time for the game to download.
Please be aware that the game won't download if there isn't enough available space in your Nintendo Switch internal flash memory, or microSD card.
Why get a download version?
The game content is the same as the packaged version, but you can download the title right away on release day!
You can store multiple games on your Nintendo Switch console, meaning you can switch between games without having to change Nintendo Switch Game Cards.
There is also a massive library of games you can’t find in store. From strategy and puzzle games, to action and adventure, there is something for everyone on the Nintendo eShop.
Purchase the game directly from Nintendo eShop
You can purchase the download version of the game directly from Nintendo eShop.
Here's our handy guide to buying games from Nintendo eShop:
1) Find the software you want by using the search function or simply browsing the shop. When you find a title you like, just select it to go to the title’s page. From here select "Proceed to Purchase" and continue using the on-screen prompts.
2) You can purchase the software via a "Credit Card”, “PayPal” or “Nintendo eShop Card”. If you have already redeemed a Nintendo eShop card, you may purchase the software using the funds available to you.
- You can also add funds at any time by doing either of the following:
- Go to the "Redeem Code" section on the Nintendo eShop main page and then enter the code on the back of your Nintendo eShop Card.
- Select the icon of your Nintendo Account on the main page of Nintendo eShop. Select “Add Funds” under your current balance, and use a Credit Card, Nintendo eShop Card, or your linked PayPal account to add the desired amount.
- For more information on the use of your PayPal account as a method of payment, click here.
3) If you have a Nintendo eShop Card, first read all the information and then enter the 16-digit activation number found on the back of the card by scratching off the silver panel. Nintendo eShop Cards are available from selected retailers in denominations of AU$15, AU$30 and AU$60.
4) If you choose to pay by credit card, you can use either MasterCard or VISA to add funds. First, select an amount to add and then follow the instructions. Afterwards you’ll get a receipt of your purchase.
5) If you choose to pay via your PayPal account to add funds, select an amount to add and then follow the instructions. If you have not yet linked your PayPal account via email, then you will need to do this before adding funds. Afterwards you’ll get a receipt of your purchase.
6) Now, you’re ready to download! Follow the on-screen instructions to download your software. You can check the progress at any time from the Home Menu, just press the HOME Button, or the “X” Button to close the eShop.