The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii U™ home console and Nintendo 3DS™ family of portable systems. Following the launch of the Nintendo Entertainment System™ in 1983, Nintendo has launched Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™, Nintendo GameCube™, Wii™, Nintendo DS™, as well as the current-generation Wii U™ homes console and Nintendo 3DS™ family of systems. It has also introduced industry icons that have become well-known; household names such as Mario™, Donkey Kong™, Metroid™, Zelda™ and Pokémon™.
Nintendo Australia Pty. Limited, based in Victoria, serves as headquarters for Nintendo in the Australia and New Zealand regions. Established in 1993, it is a wholly owned subsidairy of Nintendo Co. Ltd. of Kyoto, Japan.
Nintendo Australia has a long-standing partnership with the Starlight Children’s Foundation, a non-profit organisation that provides support to seriously ill children and their families. Nintendo Australia supports Starlight by providing family-friendly games and sytems that are situated in Starlight Express rooms in every Children’s hospital in Australia. Nintendo staff participate in fundraising activities and provide much needed support during the Starlight Day charity event held annually throughout Australia.
- 1993 – January, Nintendo established in Australia
- 1997 – Nintendo 64 launched
- 1999 – August, the launch of Pokémon cards
- 2001 – June, Game Boy Advance launched
- 2002 – May, Nintendo GameCube launched
- 2003 – March, Game Boy Advance SP is launched
- 2005 – February, Nintendo DS is launched
- 2005 – November, Game Boy Micro is launched
- 2006 – June, Nintendo DS Lite is launched
- 2006 – December, Wii is launched
- 2009 – April, Nintendo DSi launched
- 2010 – Celebrates Mario’s 25th Anniversary
- 2010 – April, Nintendo DSi XL is launched
- 2011 – Celebrates The Legend of Zelda’s 25th Anniversary
- 2011 – March, Nintendo 3DS is launched
- 2012 – August, Nintendo 3DS XL is launched
- 2012 – November, Wii U is launched
- 2013 – Celebrates the Year of Luigi
- 2013 – Nintendo 2DS is launched, coinciding with the launch of Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
- 2014 – June, the first amiibo is launched
- 2014 – November, New Nintendo 3DS and New Nintendo 3DS XL launched
- 2015 – Celebrates Mario’s 30th Anniversary
- 2016 – February, Celebrates 20 years of Pokémon.
- 2016 – February, Celebrates 30 years of The Legend of Zelda
- 2016 – March, Miitomo is launched - Nintendo’s first ever app for smart devices
- 2016 – November, Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System is launched