Nintendo Accounts FAQs Support
Select a topic below
- What is a Nintendo Account?
It is an account required for using new services from Nintendo. All customers aged 13 and above can register for an account. Registration is free.
- What is the difference between a Nintendo Account and a Nintendo Network ID?
A Nintendo Account enables the participation in My Nintendo rewards programme.
A Nintendo Network ID is required to use the online services offered on the Nintendo 3DS system and Wii U console.
- What can you do with a Nintendo Account?
A Nintendo Account enables the participation in My Nintendo rewards programme, as well as purchases of digital games for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U from Nintendo eShop using a PC or a smartphone.
The purchase function of digital games from Nintendo eShop using a PC or smartphone is currently unavailable in Australia and New Zealand
- I want to create an account, but I am not 13 years of age. What do I do?
Currently, a Nintendo Account is only offered to users who are at least 13 years of age. We plan to enable younger users to enjoy a Nintendo Account in future.
- Is it possible to link multiple Nintendo Network IDs to a single Nintendo Account?
No, unfortunately that isn't possible.
You can only link a single Nintendo Network ID to a single Nintendo Account.
- I tried to create a Nintendo Account, but I got a message saying "The email address you have entered is already registered. Registration cannot be completed."
Only a single email address can be linked to one Nintendo Account. If the email address you have entered is already registered, it cannot be used again. Alternatively, this can occur if you are trying to sign in with a Nintendo Network ID. If you have multiple NNIDs registered to one email address, you will only be able to create a Nintendo Account with one of those NNIDs.
- When I try to sign in to my Nintendo Account from my smartphone, the site returns to a pre-sign-in state immediately. What should I do?
Your smartphone may have settings that prevent it from saving cookie files (for example, it may be operating in privacy mode). If this is the case, disable any such settings and try signing in again.
- I created a new account, but I haven't received a email with the verification code. What should I do?
If you haven't received the email, then wait a little while and try again. Or, try the following:
- Check that the email address that you provided is correct.
- Check your junk folder to see if the email has been delivered there.
- Check the email rejection settings of your email service to see if emails from "email@example.com" are being rejected.
- Check that the address that you provided hasn't already been used to create an existing account.
- What does "Sign in with" mean?
This feature allows you to quickly create a Nintendo Account by using the information from a pre-existing social network account such as Facebook, Twitter and Google+, as well as Nintendo Network ID.
If you create a Nintendo Account using such a pre-existing account, both accounts will be linked and you can use the login information of the linked account to sign in to your Nintendo Account.
- Can I sign up for a Nintendo Account even if I don't own a Nintendo device?
Yes, you can create a Nintendo Account even if you don't own a Nintendo system.
You can sign up on the Nintendo Account creation page: https://accounts.nintendo.com/register
- When I try to sign in, I get a message saying "The email address or password is incorrect.", even after entering the correct email address and password.
It may be that you are entering the sign-in information in the wrong place.
If you have created a Nintendo Account linked to a Nintendo Network ID or a social media account, you will have to sign in by selecting the icon for the account your Nintendo Account is linked to, in the "Sign in with" section of the sign-in screen.
If you have forgotten your Nintendo Account password, please access the Nintendo Account sign-in page, click on "Forgot your password?" and then follow the instructions to reset your password.
If your account is linked to an NNID, you will need the password for the NNID. If you have forgotten the NNID password, you can check it here.
- I have forgotten my Nintendo Account password.
If you have forgotten your password, you can reset it from "Forgot Your Password?" that can be found on the Nintendo Account sign in page.
Note: You will not be able to perform the steps to reset your password if you no longer have access to the email address used to create your Nintendo Account. If you are signed in, you can reset your password using the Change Password service.
If your Nintendo Account was linked to another account during registration, please follow the appropriate procedure for that account.
If your account is linked to a Nintendo Network ID, you will need the password for the Nintendo Network ID. If you have forgotten the Nintendo Network ID password, you can check it here: https://id.nintendo.net/login
- I want to change my Nintendo Account user information.
You can make changes from "Profile" in the menu after logging in.
- I'm having trouble linking my Nintendo Account to my Nintendo Network ID.
Linking a Nintendo Account to a Nintendo Network ID is not possible in the following cases:
- The Nintendo Network ID belongs to a user who is under 13 years of age.
- The country information registered to the Nintendo Network ID does not match with information registered to the Nintendo Account.
- The use of the Nintendo Network ID from PCs and other devices is restricted in the Nintendo Network ID settings.
- How can I change the linked Nintendo Network ID?
First, you have to remove the link between your Nintendo Account and your current Nintendo Network ID under "Linked Accounts" after signing into your Nintendo Account.
If you sign in using the sign-in data of a Nintendo Network ID, you have to create new sign-in data before disabling the link. This can be done by linking your Nintendo Account to a different external account or by adding a password to your Nintendo Account. To add a password, go to "Password" in the menu after signing in.
Then you have to sign out from your Nintendo Network ID (for example, on the Miiverse page at https://miiverse.nintendo.net/).
After that, you can return to the Nintendo Account settings and link your Nintendo Account to another Nintendo Network ID from "Linked Accounts".
- How can I remove the link between my Nintendo Account and an existing external account?
You can remove the link between your Nintendo Account and an external account by going to "Linked Accounts" after signing in to your Nintendo Account.
If you sign in to your Nintendo Account using the login data of such an external account, you have to create new Nintendo Account sign-in data before disabling the link. This can be done by linking your Nintendo Account to a different external account or a Nintendo Network ID, or by adding a password to your Nintendo Account. To add a password, select "Password" after signing in.
- How can I remove the link between my Nintendo Account and my Nintendo Network ID?
You can remove the link between your Nintendo Account and Nintendo Network ID by going to "Linked Accounts" after signing in to your Nintendo Account.
If you sign in to your Nintendo Account using a Nintendo Network ID, you have to create new Nintendo Account sign-in data before disabling the link. This can be done by linking your Nintendo Account to a different external account or by adding a password to your Nintendo Account. To add a password, select "Password" after signing in.
- How do I change my Mii?
How you change your Mii depends on which Mii is being displayed.
- If it's your Nintendo Network ID Mii, follow these steps to change it:
- Change your Personal Mii and then sign in to a service that requires a Nintendo Network ID (for example Nintendo eShop or Miiverse).
- Go to the Change Mii page and choose the Mii you want to use.
The Mii will change accordingly.
- If it's your Nintendo Network ID Mii, follow these steps to change it:
- What happens if I delete my Nintendo Account?
You can delete your Nintendo Account by selecting "Delete Account" from the Profile menu.
Once you have confirmed that you want to delete your Nintendo Account, it will be first deactivated for a duration of four weeks. During this deactivation period, you can reactivate your Nintendo Account by signing in to the account, but some data may be lost.
After the deactivation period has passed, your Nintendo Account will be deleted permanently and you will lose all your data associated with it, such as:
- Mission status, points and rewards in the My Nintendo rewards programme
- Digital content you purchased in apps linked to your Nintendo Account
- Save data of apps linked to your Nintendo Account
- Friends and connections managed via your Nintendo Account
- I am not receiving promotional emails related to my Nintendo Account. What should I do?
In order to receive promotional emails related to the Nintendo Account, your email address must be verified and you must have selected the option to receive emails from Nintendo under "Promotional Emails" in the menu.