Nintendo Accounts / My Nintendo Support
- How do I receive Gold Points?
Simply by making purchases of downloadable software for Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS or Wii U. For Nintendo Switch you can also receive Gold Points for purchasing digital software bundles, downloadable content (DLC) or retail versions of games.
On Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, Gold Points are only earned if your Nintendo Network ID is linked to your Nintendo Account at the time of purchase.
- How can I use my Gold Points on my Nintendo Switch?
As of March 2018 you are also able to spend Gold Points on digital purchases for Nintendo Switch on Nintendo eShop.
- What is the value of a single Gold Point?
The value of a Gold Point when used for digital purchases differs per currency. The currency of a Gold Point is determined by the Nintendo Account country setting at the time the point was earned, and cannot be changed thereafter.
1 Gold Point is equivalent to:
- 0.01 AUD
- 0.01 NZD
- If you pay $79.95 for a game on Nintendo eShop, you’ll earn 400 Gold Points. Those points can be redeemed for $4.00 toward your next eligible purchase.
This valuation only applies when spending on digital purchases. When used for other rewards, there is no fixed value.
- How many Gold Points can I spend on a purchase?
You can spend any amount of points on a purchase between 1 Gold Point and the amount matching the full price of the game.
For example: if you buy a game with a purchase price of $7.50, you can spend up to 750 points.
If you were to spend the full 750 points, you could purchase the game at no further cost.
- How long are Gold Points valid?
Gold Points are valid for 12 months from when they are earned, and always expire at the end of a month.
- Can Gold Points earned on Nintendo 3DS or Wii U be used to purchase Nintendo Switch software?
Yes, Gold Points can be used to purchase Nintendo Switch software, regardless of how they were earned.
For example, if you earn 100 Gold Points for a Nintendo 3DS game purchase on Nintendo eShop, you can spend those points on a Nintendo Switch game purchase on Nintendo eShop.
- Can Gold Points be used to purchase Nintendo 3DS or Wii U software?
Gold Points cannot be used to purchase Nintendo 3DS or Wii U software.
However, you can continue to redeem your points for existing My Nintendo rewards for Wii U or Nintendo 3DS systems – including software discounts and download codes for downloadable content.
- Can I earn Gold Points for all of my game purchases?
The following products are excluded from earning Gold Points:
- Nintendo 3DS game cards
- Wii U discs
- DLC for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U
- Any consumable items
Apart from the examples given above, there may be some other products that are excluded from receiving Gold Points.
- How many Gold Points do I receive for each purchase?
For eligible purchases on Nintendo eShop, you automatically earn Gold Points worth the equivalent of 5% of your total paid amount.
For redeeming a download code, you automatically earn Gold Points worth the equivalent of 5% of the undiscounted Nintendo eShop price of that content at the time of redemption. Only commercially distributed download codes qualify for points.
For purchasing a Nintendo Switch game card, you earn 1% of the undiscounted Nintendo eShop price of that game. In order to receive the points, you need to register the game card on the HOME Menu of your Nintendo Switch console within one year from the official release date of the game in your country. You can confirm the release date of a game by visiting its details page on Nintendo eShop.
- How are Gold Points applied when purchasing multiple DLC items at the same time?
When purchasing multiple DLC items at the same time, Gold Points will be applied to each separate purchase. Buying several DLC items in one go is actually multiple separate purchases which are only displayed together for convenience.
- How many points do I earn for my Nintendo eShop purchase if I use Gold Points for part of that purchase?
Gold Points are earned based on the amount paid by the consumer, after discount pricing or points used. For example, if you buy a Nintendo Switch game with a price of $79.95 that’s been discounted to $69.95 due to you spending 1000 Gold Points, the number of Gold Points awarded would be based off the $69.95 price.
- How do I earn Gold Points if I purchase a physical game for Nintendo Switch?
Gold Points can be earned for the game card versions of Nintendo Switch games. However, unlike for digital purchases, Gold Points are not earned automatically for these.
In order to receive the points, you need to register the game card on the HOME Menu of your Nintendo Switch console within one year of the official release date of the game in your country. You can confirm the release date of a game by visiting its details page on Nintendo eShop.
Instructions to register a game:
- Insert the game card into the Nintendo Switch console.
- Highlight the game icon on the Nintendo Switch HOME menu.
- Press the + or – button to access the Options menu for that software.
- Highlight “My Nintendo Rewards Programme,” then select “Earn Points (game card version only).”
- Select the Nintendo Account you want to receive the Gold Points.
On Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, only digital purchases earn points.
- Insert the game card into the Nintendo Switch console.
- Will I lose my Gold Points if I change the country of my Nintendo Account?
Gold Points can only be used in a country that uses the same currency as the country where you earned them.
The points you haven't used yet remain in your account until they expire, but will only be displayed on My Nintendo if they can be used with your current country setting.
If your account is set to Australia or New Zealand, you have earned 250 Gold Points and you change your country to the United States, you will no longer be able to use these 250 Gold Points, since the currency in the United States is different from Australia and New Zealand.
Changing your country/region settings back to the original country (Australia or New Zealand) would allow you to use the 250 Gold Points again.
- Can I transfer my Gold Points from one Nintendo Account to another?
Gold Points cannot be transferred to another Nintendo Account.